Design build and design bid build are two delivery methods commonly used in the construction sector. So what exactly are design-build and design bid build? Design-build is a delivery technique whereby the delivery team works under a single contract for the project owner to provide design and construction. On the other hand, design bid build is a traditional delivery method whereby the owner contracts two different entities, where one caters to construction, and the other takes care of the design.
What Does Design-Build Entail?
- Design-build encompasses a construction and design team under one roof.
- There’s one point of contact since the building team and the designing team is hosted by the same entity.
- It is faster to deliver on construction and design since there’s no bidding required to win a project. Therefore, once a project owner chooses your team, you can start preparing the site for building immediately, before finalizing on other important decisions.
- It is less risky since one entity provides the workers for building and designing your project. But in case of default by one of the teams, the entity is held accountable for any arising issues.
- It is cost-effective because it is a modern delivery service which means they provide the latest construction costs and design is implemented with cost-effective materials and techniques.
- The integration of construction and designing services saves time for the project owner to locate the best team to hire and eliminates the likelihood of conflicts arising from the two teams. It enhances harmony and cooperation while working on the project.
- Construction can begin while design processes are still being made. Since building comes before designing, the construction team can start on their work while the design team is still creating and finalizing the different design ideas.
- The owner only needs one contract for the whole project to be catered. Since the building and design teams are from one entity, the contract will be handled by the entity alone.
What Does the Design Bid Build Entail?
- Two different entities are required to build and design the project. Before the project, the two entities have no connection and are brought together by the project. This means that the owner needs to seek each entity and offer them the project.
- For the project to commence, three important procedures are required; that is, the bidding, the construction stage, and the designing stages. Since there’s no integration of the services, each one of them needs to be tackled at its own time and none can be initiated before the other has been finalized.
- It is more expensive since the design team has no access to construction costs. In case of construction re-evaluation to reduce cost, there may be delays from the designing team, until the construction team concludes on reducing the construction costs.
- Unlike in design-build where construction can begin before designs are finalized, in the design bid build, both processes need to be finalized so that the project can commence. This in turn adds more time to the life of the project.
- The owner is faced with more risk since there are two different points of contact. Therefore, the owner has liability over design and construction with the contractor, responsible for your contracts. Therefore, two different contracts are required to cater to the two entities.